Sunday, July 11, 2010

Pass the Peas Please!

I think I'm tired because as I try to think back on all the things that we did this weekend and I can't even remember all that we did. I do know that most of it seemed to involve food.
We have been staying busy this summer with our garden, especially the raspberry bushes which seem to be going crazy right now. If any of the kids are hungry, I point them out the door and tell them to pick berries!
raspberry bushes - I go out and pick them everyday...sometimes 2 times a day.
Not only do we eat the veggies in our garden, but those from our weekly box from Bluebird Gardens! The kids are always asking if it's Tuesday yet because they want to go get our box. I'm glad they are as excited as me to get our veggies.
Our box from this week

kohlrabi = yum
We are trying out some new vegetables this summer that we haven't ever had before. This week we had kohlrabi and I ended up just cutting it up and adding it to our salad. If you get a chance to eat one it looks like a radish on the inside and has a slightly milder taste to it. Shawn and I thought it was great.

As if we didn't have enough veggies on hand to deal with we went to pick peas on Saturday morning. As a part of our CSA (community supported agriculture) share we get to pick 7 events to attend on the farm this year. The pea pick is one of their biggest events and you can come and pick however many peas you want and even bring friends with you too. The kids had a great time for the first 30 minutes or so and then the girls tired out (and k-baby ran out of snack). Next time we will bring our portable DVD player or drive 2 vehicles if we know we are going to be there for a few hours. We all survived though and K-man lasted the whole time and didn't want to leave when, even I was ready to be done.

K-man, K-girl and K-sis



K-girl was our official bag filler. She didn't want to pick peas after about 30 minutes, but would take our full buckets and dump the peas into our big, reusable bags.




K-sis and daddy searching for peas. We barely moved from our orginal spot they were so thick!



Shawn filling our bag with peas to haul back to our van. That red bag ended up weighing 20 pounds!


Wow, a picture of me!



Our helpers having a snack.
I wish you could see in the pictures how muddy it was. It had just rained a few inches the night before and it was very hard to walk around in. The kids shoes all had a couple of inches of heavy mud on them and I think that is why they got tired out so quickly. We had a contest to see who was the most dirty by the end and I think k-baby won, although we were all filthy from head to toe by the time we were finished.


Besides growing lots of wonderful vegetables, Bluebird Gardens also grows pigs and chickens. So after picking until our helpers were totally worn out, we had to stop by the farm house and see the animals.

We had to look at the pigs because Papa Bruce used to have some.


and the baby chicks were pretty cute
K-man


K-girl


Our bags runneth over! These four bags of peas weighed over 50 pounds!



Even Abby was eating peas today! She kept sneaking over to my bag as I was shelling and would take one and run off with it. At least she wasn't eating any toys. :)




The girls helping mommy shell peas.



K-baby LOVED fresh peas!


K-baby and K-sis, not eating peas!
They did eat LOTS of peas and I finally made the rule that if they wanted to eat peas, they had to shell them first. They kept taking them from the bucket I had done and I wasn't making any process. Such a mean mommy.


K-man was my official pea sheller! This wasn't even all of them.



Hulled peas = 28 cups frozen, plus 6 cups in the fridge




All the sugar peas washed, cooked, cooled and ready to freeze.



The final sugar pea count = 20 cups frozen. I think we will be eating some yummy stir-fried veggies this winter.



All the pods. It was quite a chore to turn the compost pile tonight!


Other, none food activities this weekend....
K-girl bought a balloon creations book at Target with the money she had saved up. Luckily for me, I'm the one who ends up making all the balloon creations in the book. That does make me a popular person in the neighborhood though. Here are the girls showing of their fairy wings.



Fairy wings back view. Notice K-girl in her long sleeve jacket and K-sis in her leotard.



This was a dance in the "Fergus Falls Backyard Circus" that the kids put together on Sunday afternoon. They worked on putting together their circus acts for a couple of hours and then invited all of the parents to come watch their show. This is in our next door neighbor's yard. The kids in our neighborhood are great about playing imagination games and including all of the kids. They amaze me with all the crazy things that they come up with. You can kind of see K-sis in the background.



Video of all the kids dancing! I love our wonderful neighbors!

2 comments:

  1. Look at all those peas! YUM! It's making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I would dream of peas, but have nightmares. I dreamed of sandplums for 2 nights. Love the pictures of all - Well done!

    ReplyDelete