Saturday, October 30, 2010

No Wonder I'm so tired!

As I was looking back over our pictures for this past week and a half, I finally realized why I was so tired. We had plenty of time for work and play, but we really had a packed schedule this week. Hunting, work, school, dance classes(one of which I forgot about) 4-H, field trip, snow and pumpkin carving. I even found a few hours to work on Christmas presents, but I can't show you any pictures because it's top secret.
One of Shawn's hunting excursions. He got one goose and six ducks. I think we will have plenty of meat to eat this winter.


K-girl was all smiles when daddy said she could go hunting. They even shot a duck.

Shawn and k-man with their ducks. K-man must have come in and switched in to his p.j.s before I took this picture.

We are really lucky to have a great group of homeschooling families in our area. On Thursday we enjoyed a trip out to the Prairie Wetlands. All the kids enjoyed learning about all the different types of animals, bugs and all the areas they lived in. K-man was with the big kids group so I didn't get any pictures of him, but I did get a bunch of the girls and their group.

K-girl and K-sis using their map skills to figure out where we were going to go on our hike.



Looking at a grasshopper that our nature hike leader caught. The little boy in the red coat really likes K-sis!


K-sis showing me her leaf with spider eggs on it. They had a great time searching for just the right leaves.


All the kids loved laying on their tummies to look for stuff in the wetland.


K-girl looking for green under the brown grass.


Pretending to be a centipede like we saw on our nature walk.

For some crazy reason I decided to try freezer cooking as I cooked this week. I thought it was a great idea since I haven't had any weekends of free time lately with all the produce we have been putting up. I decided that I may have bitten off more than I could handle, but I did get a bunch of meals in the freezer.
In total, I got:
3-4 meals of meat balls
tons of twice baked potatoes
4 trays of hash browns
2 pots of chili
2 helpings of hearty hamburger stew
10 cups of pumpkin (2 cups which I made in to a pie already!)
waffles
20 breakfast burritos
8 quarts of master meat mix
I'm sure there's more, but my brain hurts to much to remember anything else.

Two more trays of potatoes baked in the oven...only 3 more 5 gallon buckets to go.



Double batch of Whole Wheat Waffles.


The skins ready for stuffing.




Twice baked potatoes ready for the freezer.



Lots of pumpkin seeds. I didn't get a picture of the finished product, but we made 2 batches of wonderful roasted seeds with a recipe from allrecipe.com.



mmmm...a double batch of chocolate chip cookies. I took pictures because mine don't always seem to turn out round and puffy. I don't know what I did right this time but they tasted and looked good.


Breakfast burritos...Shawn loves these because he can throw them in the microwave and head off to work with a hot breakfast. And they are so easy! All they contain is scrambled egg, sausage (or what ever meat I have on hand), salsa, cheese and whole wheat tortillas.





Master Meat Mix...I use this to make taco meat, spagetti and just about any other meat meal you can think of.



meat mix ready for the freezer.

Meatballs



Our YUMMY organic chicken, carrots, onion, garlic and potatoes from Bluebird Gardens. Their chicken tasted awesome and it didn't really need any spices because their chickens had been eating wonderful clover on their farm. I'm hoping to get more chicken from them soon.






K-sis helping me process our 4 pumpkin pie pumpkins.

I think this would have worked better if we hadn't had so many other things going on too, but I'm still glad that I have some meals ready to go for the next month.


We had our first snow of the season! The big kids were all out playing in the snow before the sun was up. It was a perfect snow for building snowmen and snow forts.
The big kids scooping the driveway.



K-baby loved the snow! I only thought she would last a few minutes outside, but 3 hours later I finally talked her in to going inside for a snack.




Our first snowmen. Even the neighbor kids came over before school to play.



K-baby trying out the sled.


We had some history projects and science experiments to do.
K-man working on his oil-paper window, just like they used in the book "The Courage of Sarah Noble."



K-sis seeing what soaks up best for science.



K-girl testing strength of different papers/fabrics after they have soaked up water.


K-man watching the water soak up in to his filter paper and drawing the ink up with it.


Finally on Saturday afternoon we finally found time to carve our pumpkins. The neighborhood's kids came over to help too.

Shawn scooping out the gunk...I don't think anyone else would touch it.



All the kids and their pumpkins on the back "porch" board. :) We haven't had time to do our porch addition yet. Notice all the dirty dog streaks on the glass window.

No comments:

Post a Comment