Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I Can Almost Taste The Salsa and Corn!

The day before we were suposed to leave for our IA trip I got the email that the corn pick was starting. Mark, the owner of Bluebird Gardens mentioned that the corn goes really fast and I didn't want to miss out so I left the 3 girls at the neighbors and took K-man with me to pick our share of corn. It only took us about 20 minutes to pick 10 dozen ears of corn! The longer part of the process is shucking, cutting it off the cob and freezing it all in baggies.

 A few of my favorite Cornhuskers!! There were 2 more, but they were too busy playing to take a picture.


 The boy Cornhuskers!


 The girl Huskers (Notice that I get free labor from the neighbor's kids?? Who knew chores could be so much fun?)


We started school last week too, so K-man and K-girl were working on some of their work while I cut the corn off the cob.

 Daddy and K-baby picking the last of the raspberries. I don't think any came in the house. K-baby LOVES raspberries and I think it's wonderful to be able to say go pick some berries from the bush if you are hungry. :) The 2 bushes on either side of them are some of our tomato plants.


 K-man showing off our sunflower!


A few of the tomatoes from one of our bushes. It looks like it's going to be a good crop this year. I'm hoping to make salsa, tomato sauce and some spagetti sauce.

One of our other plants. We planted 6 tomato plants total and I wish We'd planted more. Our pepper plants look beautiful too, but there aren't any peppers on them yet. I don't think we get enough sun in our shady backyard for them so we probably won't plant those next year.

Now I just have to find some good salsa and spagetti recipes to can for this winter. YUMMY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment