Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tomatoes!!!

We finally got our tomatoes from Bluebird Gardens! I wish I would have remembered to take a picture of Shawn's dad Bruce because he helped me pick the 10 gallons of tomatoes.


WOW! This is me (Carrie) I know we don't see me very often AND even from the front side. ;)

 The sink of tomatoes. I only ate a few while I was canning, cooking and washing. mmmm...garden fresh tomatoes with some salt on top.

I spent all day Sunday canning tomato sauce, salsa and roasting some tomatoes to freeze. I wish we could have gotten more! 

Out of our 10 gallons we made:
7 quarts of tomato sauce
7 pints of salsa
10 cups of roasted tomatoes frozen
A bunch flew home to KS with Shawn's parents.


We also planted six tomato plants in our garden this year. Three of them did awesome and we got gobs of tomatoes from them. One of them only produced two tomatoes and the kids ate all the cherry tomatoes off the plant before they made it inside. We won't have enough sauce to last us through the winter, but we have a good start. I also managed to make a lot of salsa and sauce from our tomatoes, but I'm not sure how many jars we ended up with.  


 The middle two K-kids are gone, so K-man and K-baby are getting plenty of quality snuggle time in.

1 comment:

  1. They look like they are having a ball together!! See ya soon!

    ReplyDelete