Friday, October 7, 2011

Veggies are good for breakfast

 I know I've been on a veggie kick lately. With fall right around the corner I'm almost done preserving all the veggies we've gotten from our CSA and our small backyard garden.

We've been trying to eat more veggies and adding them to our breakfast is super easy. My kids love scrambled eggs so adding in precut veggies is just the way to start our day off on the right foot.



 Veggie scrambled eggs.

green peppers, carrots, mushrooms, celery, potatoes and onions

I love to cut up extra veggies and keep them handy in my freezer for using in any meal. I blanch them by boiling in hot water for a few minutes and then putting them in ice water for the same amount of time. Next, I flash freeze them on a cookie sheet then put them in ziploc bags. This allows the veggies to be frozen without being in a big ice hunk. I love to reach in my freezer and simply pull out a handful of whatever ingredient I need for soup, a casserole or scrambled eggs. This is also a great way to use up veggies you buy for a certain recipe and then don't need the rest.



We had one last CSA ticket to use up this week and I choose to use it for 1/2 a share of carrots and a 1/2 share of potatoes. Last year we got 4 buckets of potatoes for one ticket and it was a LOT of work to freeze them all. I still have a few gallon bags left from last year so I split this last ticket up. I also picked up a 1/2 bucket of free tomatoes.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea! My green peppers and onions always end up frozen together in one big hunk.

    ReplyDelete