Saturday, January 14, 2012

It's a homemade Christmas

I love giving and receiving homemade gifts. This Christmas we managed to work in quite a few fun ideas and the kids had such fun coming up with ideas that they could do. The hardest part was not sharing the ideas on the blog before we gave the presents.

The kids started making their first presents before Thanksgiving. They had lots of fun using up some of our extra Scrabble letters to make Christmas tree ornaments and coasters.

 All the K-kids crafting away!


 I snuck in some spelling practice. (Shhhh! Don't tell.)


K-girl made a bunch of cute bookmarks for everyone she knew. She had a great time using my sewing machine. She loves crafting! (a girl after my own heart) She also practiced using a needle to sew on the buttons.

This wasn't a gift, but it was a craft I did recently so I'm including it. :) I've had this ugly clear plastic organizer sitting in my closet since we moved from Wisconsin three years ago. I recently discovered Mod Podge and had to try it out with a project.

Before:

After:
 Now I just have to figure out where I want to hang it.

 These are some jars that I made for gifts. I decoupaged the lids and cut vinyl with my Cricut for the glass. I thought they turned out really cute and were perfect for holding the sewing/craft labels that I made to go in them. (I didn't get a picture of that craft, sorry.)


 Nana Yvette gave K-girl some fabric for Christmas and of course she had to use it RIGHT AWAY. Nana is so creative and made up a pattern for a cute bag to hold K-girl's Bible and AWANA book. I thought it turned out fantastic.


 The kids were busy crafting over vacation too. They made this ginger bread barn at Nana Yvette's house. It turned out so cute!


 Yvette and I had to stop in at the quilt store in Kiowa. She always carries such cute quilting fabric and many other types of fabric too.  I found this cute scarf idea on Pinterest and had to try it out. I had tons of fun getting in some sewing time with Yvette and it only took us an hour to whip these together.


 One of my favorite projects was using my Cricut cutter to make my mom a sign for her long-arm quilting business. It was my first BIG project using vinyl and it turned out great.


 Somehow I found a few minutes to slip into Hobby Lobby without the kids and found some cute brown jersey knit fabric to make this cute scarf. Yet another Pinterest idea and so easy too.


 I also made some coasters for my mother and some for me too. Somehow our old sandstone ones have all been dropped and broken so we didn't have any coasters at home. I love these and it was so easy. I just used Mod Podge, cheap tiles from Hobby Lobby, scrapbook paper and pictures.

 These are the ones I made for my mom. Aren't they cute?

 Everyone got an Initial/Name frame this year. My friend Heather and I came up with this idea when we last got together (way too long ago.). These were fun to make with vinyl using my Cricut.


 My mom and dad got the kids a Kindle Fire for Christmas so we HAD to sew a cute cover to protect it. My mom and I made this together and I love how it turned out.
outside cover:

My sister-in-law also spent some time crafting this fall because I got a great stash of homemade gifts from her too. She gave me homemade vanilla extract, lip balm, skin scrub and bath salts. I can say that we both a have a LOVE for Pinterest this year!

This post just gets me excited for all the crafting possiblities for the coming year.

1 comment:

  1. You always make the best homemade gifts! It's so inspiring how much you always manage to get done! We all are especially getting lots of use from our bookmarks! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete