Friday, May 11, 2012

Landscaping

We've had quite a few days of rainy or cool weather lately so when Wednesday ended up being beautiful, we decided to plant the garden and complete a little landscaping. The garden soil was still pretty damp from rain so I didn't get any pictures of the kids helping with that part of the project, my fingers were way too muddy.

I did manage to snag a few pictures of our new landscaping that we did at the back of the house. The kids had a lot of fun helping haul 15 bags of dirt and border rock. I've been wanting to do something in the area since we moved in 3 years ago and I'm so happy with how it turned out. Now I just have to see if I can keep everything growing because it is super sunny and hot in this area.


 Our super helpers!

Still helping daddy and it's way past bedtime!

 I wish I had taken a before picture because although this look pretty ordinary, the before was a foot wide patch of dandelions along most of the house. Shawn is happy because he has some natural prairie plants.

 I started a small herb garden and let the kids sprinkle some mixed flower seed packets in the back by the house.

The finished garden.

We planted 4 tomato plants, 1 potato :), 3 brussel sprouts, 3 kale, 3 banana peppers, 3 red peppers, 3 peppers, lettuce, onion, radishes, and lots of green beans. We are hoping that the pepper plants we bought from Natures Garden World will do better than the ones we bought from Home Depot last year if not, this will be our last year for trying peppers. One of my favorite things about our backyard is that it is almost all shaded by huge shade trees, which isn't very good for our garden. Next year I may have to talk Shawn in to doing some landscaping in the front so I can sneak a few edible plants in a sunny bed out front.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great little garden! What herbs did you plant? I'm curious to see how your kale does. I've been meaning to tell you that I've been using it in my smoothies instead of spinach sometimes and I don't think it has as strong of flavor. I don't even cover it up with banana.

    We have a zucchini plant that came back from last year and we've already pick 2 GIANT zucchini from it! Guess I'd better start getting creative with my zucchini recipes again!

    ReplyDelete