Friday, May 25, 2012

Preparing For Summer

As we wind down to the end of our "official" school year we have been busy trying to plan out some fun summer activities. It always seems like summer slips by in the blink of an eye or the days drag on with bored kids, so this year we are making some plans to make sure we make the most of our summer. I'm also hoping to get in a lot of art and science stuff which seems to get pushed aside during the school year for some of the less fun stuff.

Last day of official school at the kitchen table. We are going to continue doing a few school things this summer to finish up some books and keep them busy. I love days like this!


To prevent days of bored kids this summer, we've spent some time thinking of things that we want to do. After we made a huge list we've been writing them on some calendars that the kids and I made from blank newsprint (thanks Heather!). Most of the activities are FREE and easy to do, but I figured if I wrote them down the kids would make sure that we completed each days task.

So far we have June and July up on the wall. We have grandparents coming in August so that's going to take a little bit more planning. My parents are taking K-man to KS and Branson, MO after they visit so I'm hoping to do some extra fun, crafty, girly things with my girls. 

 The kids helped lay out the grids, draw lines, wrote the numbers and did the artwork. I think they are all pretty excited for summer to start now!

Here's a list of what we're going to do this summer! What are you going to do to make your summer fun?

Some of the activities cost:
Horse Camp (k-girl)
Swim Lessons (3 big kids)
Baseball (k-man)
Zoo
Swim at the Pool
Camping
Bowling
But most of the activities we came up with were NO or little cost:
Picnic in the park (I'm sure this will happen more than once)
camp in backyard
homemade watering bottle
feed geese at park
make sidewalk chalk
water balloon fight
start watch (while camping with our bible study group)
fishing (mmmm...yummy fried fish)
make play dough
bike rodeo in our driveway (this is a day the neighbor kids are home)
make crayons
catch bugs at the prairie and make a waterscope
make a tepee in the backyard
make a garden scarecrow
bonfire in the backyard with smores
paint pet rocks
create balloon powered boats
swim at beach (This will be happening LOTS)
fly kites
write secret messages with lemon juice
weave reeds or some type of plants
go for a bike ride
make colored sand
paint with colored sand
magnet kit (we have this from school)
build an indoor fort
make homemade lava lamps
tear drop volcanoes
Frisbee golf
play 4 square
tennis
nature scavenger hunt
make melted bead sun catchers
blow up balloons with vinegar and baking soda
paint garden rocks
elephant toothpaste
marathon park tour (spend 15-20 minutes playing at each park in town)
melted perler bead bowls
fizzy sidewalk chalk
pipe cleaner crystals
homemade bouncy balls
mentos geysers
easy craft clay
green energy kit (also from homeschool supplies)
sidewalk paint
Free concerts at the park every Thursday night with a picnic
Library programs each Tuesday and a free  magic show, puppet show and a stuffed animal slumber party.
Free reading tutoring at the library
Chess club every Tuesday at the library
VBS


I also made a ring of index cards listing activities that we can do if it is rainy or the weather isn't cooperating. Some of those activities are: make a fort, crete paper maze in the hallway, board games, card games, puzzles and cooking with mom.

Most of these ideas are short and easy to complete! I found lots of ideas on Pinterest (so if you haven't discovered Pinterest yet, you NEED to get on it!). I have most of these activities marked on my Summer Fun board on Pinterest if you need directions.

Other ideas came from books I checked out at my awesome library. Here are some of the books that I found in our home library or at the public library to get ideas! I made copies of some of the activities to keep on hand and other books I plan to check out when we are doing certain activities to work through as many as we can. Can I just say, I LOVE the library!!!

Nature in a Nutshell for Kids by Jean Potter
101 Great Science Experiments  by Neil Ardley
Math for fun Projects by Andrew King
Hands-on Science Graham, John and others
The Kids' Summer Handbook (this one was cool!) by Jane Drake and Ann Love
The Ultimate Bubble Book by Shar Levine and Leslie Johnstone
Sidewalk Chalk and Other Outdoor Games by Jamie Kyle McGillian
Crazy Eights and other Card Games by Joanna Cole and Stephanie Calmenson
Dominoes Games Around the World by Elizabeth Dana Jaffe


Plus, my kids love to cook, so I'm hoping to come up with a whole list of yummy snacks to try with the kids this summer. Homemade icecream, icecream sundays, celery boats, apple butterflies, smores, watermelon, slushies, smoothies.....

I can't wait for summer to start! You should check out your local community for many of the free events that are planned during the summer months. I'm sure we'll be adding lots more activities, but I love that we are starting off with a plan!



1 comment:

  1. I see lots of pinterest ideas on that list. I'm trying to cross off at least one pinterest project a week too. Make sure you blog about all your fun activites! I can't wait to see everything!

    ReplyDelete