Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Corn, Zucchini and Broken Dishes

Tomorrow, I'm refusing to enter my kitchen! The past two days I've spent quite a few hours putting up food for our family. CSA summer harvest events always keep me busy, but I love that I don't have to buy many vegetables all winter long. I finally stopped baking today when I ran out of bread pans and cookie sheets because they were all dirty.

 On Monday the girls helped me pick a 5 gallon bucket of onions, 10 dozen ears of corn, basil and I managed to snag a few free caulrobi and 2 cucumbers.

 Shucking corn takes time and makes a huge mess and I managed to preview the movie Swiss Family Robinson while doing this. I love multitasking! Now K-man and I just have to finish reading the book and we can watch the movie together. I also managed to catch up on quite a few Focus On The Family broadcasts while I was cooking. I'm always amazed at all the different content they offer and how much practical advice they give.

 All the corn cut off the cob. I got a new cutter from Pampered Chef this year that made cutting the kernels off the cob a bit easier. I wouldn't say the tool is necessary, but I think it helped things go faster and I only cut myself a few times.

 I ended up freezing 60 cups of plain corn and 52 cups of cream corn. 
Then I got 2 dozen more ears in my CSA box today. I choose not to look at them, but maybe I'll be in the mood tomorrow.

 I also shredded all the zucchini that I had in the house. I cooked with a bunch of it, but I still ended up with 30 cups for the freezer. I'm sure I'll be checking my sister-in-law's blog for cooking ideas because her family loves zucchini. I also made a gallon zip loc bag of zucchini tots from a Pinterest recipe and froze them. The little girls liked them so I'm hoping to use those up this winter.

 My stand-up freezer is starting to look pretty full. I still had some pumpkin, squash and tomato sauce from last year, but every thing else is from this year (except the beef in the bottom drawer and the Popsicles in the door).
 Yummy chocolate zucchini muffins. These all went into the freezer for breakfast or snacks during homeschool.


I ran out of muffin tins so I used the rest of the chocolate zucchini muffin mix to make mini loafs. I also made three chocolate chip zucchini bread loafs and froze them.

I cooked up a whole bag of brown rice in my rice cooker and froze it in 3 cup portions, but I didn't get a picture of that. I love being able to pull a bag out of the freezer and pop it on the stove with a little water to have a quick side dish for any meal.

 Seriously, I didn't have a single clean casserole dish, bread pan or muffin tin left in my house and boy were these fun to clean up at the end of the day.

 Lest, you think I totally neglected my children, this was their lunch plate. We're always heavy on the veggies during CSA season. We had zucchini tots, caulobi, creamed corn, cucumbers, apples and peaches.

 The girls managed to drag quite a bit of stuff out of the garage to play house in the front yard. Good thing our neighbors love us. We've been having beautiful weather every day in the 70s, so they've been outside a lot. They were also excited that I let each of them pick a video from the library and they watched both of them already.


They also played some in the backyard with the pool and slide. K-sis felt the need to wear her new velvet dress for the occasion, but switched to a swimsuit after she filled the pool with freezing cold water. 

The girls also talked me into painting nails this afternoon when my feet were aching and I was ready to sit down. It's never a one color task around our house either, they always like using multiple colors and then adding glitter on top. I'll have to redo my sometime because I scrubbed half of my polish off doing dishes tonight. 

I only broke two things while cooking the past day and a half. I dropped one of my salt shakers (full) and it shattered all over the place and then later in the day I broke one of my glass storage dishes that came with a lid. I think sweeping the floor 4 times yesterday was a new record for me, because I also cut Shawn's hair and had swept that morning. 

Now all I have left is that big bucket of onions, but I'm thinking they'll keep in the garage for a few days. I'm hoping to save some to make salsa this weekend if the tomatoes are ready out at Bluebird Gardens.

Tomorrow = leftovers!

2 comments:

  1. Seriously wow! It's amazing all you manage to accomplish! I haven't tried the zucchini tots yet. That will be next on my list! You should make zucchini corn pancakes with all the corn and zucchini.

    ReplyDelete