Saturday, October 6, 2012

Fall Harvest

We were all really busy today! Shawn took off with Abby really early in the morning to go duck hunting. The kids and I decided to sleep in until 7:30 and then we spent the morning out at Bluebird Gardens picking our fall produce. We had four tickets left from our CSA share and we used them all today. We also managed to do some raking with our small group, pizza, and a trip to a friend's house for dinner and duck scouting. Whew! I'm hoping tomorrow will be a little bit more relaxing.

 The kids and I with most of our vegetable haul.  
We gave a bunch of it away to families in our Bible study group. 

We ended up with:
20 gallons of potatoes
5 gallons of carrots
8 carving pumpkins
11 pumpkin pie pumpkins
1 spaghetti squash
8 kohlrabi
1 gallon of brussel sprouts

I think I'll be spending most of Sunday in the kitchen baking up the pumpkins and freezing them. I'll also slice/shred up the carrots to freeze for soups, scrambled eggs, and casseroles this winter.


 Shawn, supporting his family by providing some meat!
Hopefully, on Monday morning when he takes Kolsen he'll have more luck.

 The kids already got the brussel sprouts off the plants.


mmm...brussel sprouts. I can't wait to serve these for lunch tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see what you do with all that great produce! I'm sure you've hardly slept since bringing it all home!

    ReplyDelete