Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Normal Fall Week

Life's been normal around here for a couple of weeks. I've been homeschooling, cooking, crafting and playing with the kids. The kids have been busy with school, playing more inside with the cooler weather and playing with friends from the neighborhood. Shawn's been busy working, hunting and trying to keep up with all the stuff around the house.
 
 The kids drug up the Thomas track out this week and built some elaborate tracks in the living room.

 I've been wanting the kids to have piano lessons for a while now, but we never got around to doing it. I couldn't bite the bullet to pay at least $8/30 minutes for 4 kids to take lessons, which would end up costing us $128/month. Nope, I couldn't do that especially considering that I took piano lessons through most of high school and am perfectly capable of teaching my kids all on my own.

I finally got smart this year and put piano lessons down as one their checklist items and my kids will willingly sit up at the piano for practice to get all their school items checked off for the day. Kolsen is pretty much self directed and only asks for help when he needs it. He is so excited to show off his Christmas songs for the relatives when we travel back to KS this Christmas. Karolyn does guitar with Shawn, so I don't worry about her. Kaylee loves to play and is more of a play by ear type of person which she didn't get from me. I usually walk her through her pages and then she can play the songs with no problems. Kassidy just loves to pound on the keys. :)

Someday, I may be willing to sign them up for lessons, but for now as beginners I think I can handle saving our family $128 each month.



 Our kitchen table is often covered in school work. I'm thinking of converting our classroom into a craft room because the kids love doing school upstairs so much. In my dream house I would have a classroom off the kitchen with sliding walls so I can cook during the day and close in the mess as the end of the day.

 Shawn's been busy hunting 2-3 times each week before the water freezes over. Luckily, he has some co-workers he hunts with and they take turns scoping out good places to go. This morning they went and all got their limit of 6 ducks each.

The guys, Abby, Scout and their Buffleheads (I think).


 Shawn showing off his six ducks.

 more ducks

 Karolyn's been busy working through her Sparkies book and this week she had to pose for a picture to include with a letter she wrote to our AWANA missionary.


 We also managed to make it to the indoor skating arena today for a fun time. The kids are doing a great job in improving their skills each time we go. This time we had a little friend who attached himself to us and he set up all sorts of obstacle courses for the kids to go through with cones. We also practiced our hockey stops so we would look super cool.




2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm impressed! Ice skating is very hard in more ways than one.....good job K-Kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am super impressed with the ice skating as well! I've never tried, but I'm sure it's not as easy as they make it look!

    ReplyDelete