Monday, December 10, 2012

Jesse Tree Project

At one of the Mom's Night Out for our homeschool group, one of the moms shared her Jesse Tree project with us. It was a beautiful quilted tree with embroidered leaves on it that tell the different Bible stories leading up to the birth of Christ. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was something that I wanted to do with our kids. Of course, starting in mid-November meant that I probably wouldn't get it done for this year, but I managed to finish a few days after we needed to start. It was a big task to complete, but I love how my Jesse tree turned out.
 
 
 
952 squares, 29 embroidered leaves, 29 clothes pins, one appliqued tree and many hours spent quilting the top later I finished.
 
Each leaf has a picture of a Bible story leading up to the birth of Jesus. One of my friends suggested that I use the baby clothes pins to hold the leaves on so during other seasons I could put up pictures using the pins. I love how it turned out and the little girls are enjoying putting the leaves on the tree each night since the big kids are visiting in Kansas.
 
This is the devotional book I ordered from Amazon, It has a Bible story, commentary and prayer for each leaf.
 
A picture of the quilting from the back. I did McTavishing for the background and a sharp meandering on the tree.

A close-up of the back.

I had all the material in my stash, so all I had to buy was the book and baby clothes pins. The book was $6 online and the clothes pins were a few dollars at Fleet Farm. For $8, I created a heirloom and  family tradition that will help us celebrate the real reason for this wonderful season each year.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful idea Carrie... I've never seen a Jesse tree and the idea of telling the stories leading up to the birth of our King is priceless! The only reason for the season. PTL! and well done! The kids are doing great! No need for me for school except in art area! New class -- Computers!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely gorgeous, Carrie. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just beautiful, Carrie! You are crazy talented! I totally lack the skill and patience for anything like this!

    ReplyDelete