Friday, January 25, 2013

Reading

We had yet another crazy week around the Papon household. We started off the week with Karolyn getting sick on Sunday and Monday. Tuesday everyone was feeling better, but the older two kids were exhausted, so we tried to take it easy. We missed most of our outside the house activities this week, which I don't feel too bad about since the highest temperature we had this week was around 10 degrees. The wind chill was constantly well below zero and no one felt like going outside anyways.
 
I did a lot of reading out loud this week while the kids relaxed on the couch and worked on a African grasslands mural. Right now I'm reading three different books out loud to the kids. I'm hoping to finish Charlotte's Web this weekend so we can watch the movie.  Kolsen has been enjoying Little Pilgrim's Progress and I love that he can spot all the Bible parallels in it. All the kids love hearing about the adventures of David Livingstone (except where the lion almost killed him) and I just love to see their eyes light up with excitement as I read.

Of course I can never just be reading one book either. Besides my fiction books from the library and on my Kindle, I've been trying to work my way through a few other non-fiction books. The Ministry of Motherhood, by Sally Clarkson is a book I love! She's got such a loving and patient spirit which comes through in her writing. She's one of those people who you want to aspire to be more like!

I'm also reading Educating the WholeHearted Child, by Clay and Sally Clarkson, which is more of a resource book with lots of Bible references so it's taking me a while to plod through. I'm trying not to highlight every single thing they say, but it seems like every page contains tons of information I want to remember to apply to my life and teach my kids.

The last book I just started is Laying Down the Rails, by Sonya Shafer. We listened to Sonya on a video at Mom's Night Out a few months ago and I knew I had to get this book which teaches about character and habits training with children. She went through all of Charlotte Mason's writings and sorted out all her information by different topics. It's not an easy read, but I've enjoyed the book so far. I love reading books by people who hold the same values and truths as I do because it is such an encouragement to me during the rough days of motherhood when everything isn't going according to plan.

1 comment:

  1. Those look like some great books, Carrie!

    Katie and I are finishing up Little House in the Big Woods. Maybe we will do Charlotte's Web next. Kelton read it a couple years ago and really liked it.

    I've just started The 5 Love Languages of Children. I've been trying to read at least one non-fiction for every 2 fiction that I read. I got Unglued awhile back and am excited to read it soon too.

    ReplyDelete