Friday, August 2, 2013

It's Almost School Time

Well, we've actually been schooling through the summer. The kids have been going to camps, participating in sports and doing a little bit of book schooling each day. Kolsen, Karolyn and Kaylee have been choosing four things to do each day and it only takes them a little bit of time to complete their work. Some weeks I suggest a subject or two I want them to work on and other weeks I let them pick. Overall it has been a very productive summer and we are getting excited about the upcoming school year.

I've ordered all my homeschooling materials for this year and have the kids' independent weekly sheets all typed up. I've already stocked up on glue sticks and tape! We are using curriculum that we've used in the past, but I'm also trying out a new grammar program and also adding an additional science program to our base curriculum this year. I still need to work on our final classroom cleaning and arrangement, come up with reading lists, and print out Kassidy's calendar binder and other activities to keep her busy, but everything else is coming together.

This year we are using the My Father's World Creation to the Greeks curriculum. I love My Father's World! I've had this curriculum since April and have been itching to get started. This will mainly be for the older kids, but my little ones always sit and listen to the read alouds and participate in as many activities as they want. Kaylee will also be finishing up the My Father's World 1st grade curriculum that we started last year.


What we are using this year for:

Kolsen's 5th grade curriculum:
Bible: He will read 2-3 chapters each day and also complete the Bible Study Guide For All Ages advanced pages.
Devotions: Sports devotions for kids
AWANA: T&T working on 3-4 sections each week
Math: He will be in Math-u-See Epsilon and I'm sure he'll start the next book too since he moved pretty fast through his math books.
Writing: We will finish up the Institute for Excellence in Writing Program that we started last year.
Grammar: Rod and Staff 5
Spelling: Spelling Workout Books D and E
Handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting Transition
Spanish: Rosetta Stone
Art: God and the History of Art
Piano: Alfred's Basic Piano Library books 2 and 3
Social Studies: Creation to the Greeks (My Father's World)
Science: Genesis for Kids and Apologia's Exploring Creation with Zoology Flying Creatures of the 5th day.
Reading: I'm also coming up with a reading list, but I still need to add that to my to do list.

Karolyn's 3rd grade curriculum:
Bible: She'll read 1-2 chapters in her bible each day and doing the Bible Study Guide For All Ages advanced pages.
Devotions: Growing With Jesus
AWANA: She'll be in T&T this year.
Math: Math-u-See Delta
Writing: Institute for Excellence in Writing Primary
Grammar: Rod and Staff 3
Handwriting: Pentime Transition
Spanish: She'll be starting Rosetta Stone this year!
Piano/Guitar: She wants to do both (we'll see how it goes)
Art: God and the History of Art
Social Studies: Creation to the Greeks (My Father's World)
Science: Genesis for Kids and Apologia's Exploring Creation with Zoology Flying Creatures of the 5th day.
Reading: same as Kolsen....I'm working on this list.
Grammar: Explode the Code 7 and 8

Kaylee's 1st grade curriculum:
Bible: We'll be working through the Early Reader's Bible with Kassidy too.
 She'll also be doing the beginner Bible Study Guide For All Ages pages along with Kassidy.
AWANA: Sparks- 3 sections each week
Math: Math-u-See Alpha
Writing: Institute for Excellence in Writing Primary with Karolyn
Grammar: 1st Language Lessons
Spelling: Spelling Workout A
Handwriting: Pentime 1
Art: I Can Do All Things
Phonics: Explode the Code 3, 4 and 5
Science: My Father's World 1st grade

Kassidy's Preschool curriculum! I can't believe she's old enough for preschool!
Bible: She'll listen to the Early Reader's Bible and Bible Study Guide beginner pages
AWANA: Cubbies- she'll be learning one verse each week
Math: Math-u-See Primer
Handwriting: wipe off pages
Phonics: Explode the Code A, B and C
Calendar Binder
Job: Play with Lincoln (she loves this one and reminds me that this is her job each day!)

LT: Play with Kassidy and play games.

This is going to be an exciting year! We probably won't get started for a few more weeks. I'm hoping for the last week of August, but we'll see. Kolsen still has a week of camp, Karolyn and Kaylee are going to Prairie Girl Camp, we are processing chickens on Labor Day weekend and we'll also be dealing with all our CSA produce.


2 comments:

  1. Carrie - your curriculum for the kids look awesome! You have multi tasking down big time! It's hard enough to stay on task with one grade... Let alone 4. I can't imagine your lesson plans... I'd be going in circles! Kudos to you! And I can't believe Kolsen is a 5th grader! How time flies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it will be a fun year. The kids are lucky to have such a great teacher! ;-)

    ReplyDelete