Sunday, September 8, 2013

Bringing Home Food

Sorry, yet another food post! I pretty sure our lives revolve around eating food 24/7.

Do you know where your food comes from? This year we know exactly where our chickens came from and what they ate. They lived a short, happy eight weeks on our friend's farm and then last weekend we helped to process them. It was a beautiful day and I think food tastes even better when you process it outside in the fresh farm air.

All the chickens plucked and halfway processed. The kids liked helping deliver the chickens to the different stations. 

 This was the plucker machine. I'm sure that isn't the official name, but that's what I call it. You put 3-4 chickens in and a few minutes later they come out perfectly plucked. I'm sure Nana Yvette wishes these would have been invented during her childhood. It was really cool to watch.

 Kolsen and Karolyn worked on weighing the chickens and then sorting them by size. Most of them ranged from 4 pounds to 5 3/4 pounds.


 Kassidy and Kaylee had to get in on the sorting action and picked out which chickens they wanted to take home.

 Abby tried to help out with our food and found a rabbit in the backyard. Sorry Girl, this one went right in the trash! She did have fun toting it around for a while until Shawn got home to take it away from her.

 Shawn took Kolsen out for their 2nd youth waterfowl day. On this special Saturday only kids get to shoot and Shawn and Kolsen saw thousands of ducks! Of course they had to go back to the same place as last year, Neuman WPA.

 Kolsen managed to shoot two ducks, a blue wing teal and also a shoveler. I think he may have shot 20 or so shells during the morning. Shawn told me they kept saying, "In 5 minutes we'll leave if you don't shoot at a duck" and Kolsen kept seeing more ducks and getting additional shooting opportunities. They finally just and to leave. Don't worry, he's still got a box or two of shells left for later in the season. 

Kolsen and his 410. I think he's hoping for a new gun in a couple of years. 

This week I was able to get a free five gallon bucket of food from Bluebird Gardens. The kid and I brought home 5 cantaloupes, 4 cukes, 5 heads of cauliflower, some carrots and also a few more potatoes. We ate all the cantaloupes and froze what we didn't eat.

With all of our extra activities starting this week I knew I wouldn't feel like cooking so I decided to do a quick freezer cooking session on Sunday. Kassidy ended up coming down with a fever and felt pretty bad most of the day so between taking care of her, teaching Sunday school and cooking most of the day I'm pretty worn out. The good news, I shouldn't have to cook for a few weeks. YEAH!!!

I didn't get any pictures of all the yummy meals I made, but I did snap a quick picture of my counter during the process. This wasn't even half of the dishes I got dirty and I had to wash a few of them two or three times for different recipes. I'm glad that I have 4 big stainless steel bowls because I used all of them!

I ended up with a good stash of food in our freezer!
2 Biscuit Beef Bake
2 Lasagna Toss
2 Chicken Tetrazzini
2 Sopa De Maiz
2 Chicken Rigatoni Bake
2 meals of Twice Baked Potatoes
Beef Chimichangas

And to eat this week I made:
granola for cereal
granola bars
banana bread
chocolate zucchini cake
9 pints of homemade salsa 

And surprise of all surprises I made out a meal plan for the week that I hope I can stick to! Karolyn was pretty excited that I wrote out what snacks they would be having each day. We'll see if works.

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow! What a busy week.... love ALL the pictures and yes I LOVE the chicken plucker! What I would have given for that gadget... LOL

    ReplyDelete