Thursday, October 24, 2013

Final Harvest Event

I'm always surprised by how quickly we come to the end of the CSA gardening season and slightly relieved that I won't be spending quite some much time preserving food. We received our last CSA box on Tuesday and participated in the final fall harvest pick this morning. The kids were really helpful and I love that they like to eat the veggies as we pick them! It's so exciting to go out to the farm and get a little bit of each vegetable or fruit because our small backyard garden doesn't have the room for this much variety.
 
It was a busy, cold morning and the kids and I headed out to the farm right after breakfast. We had three CSA tickets left to use and we chose to use them for 10 cabbage, 12 pick-a-pie pumpkins, 5 gallons of potatoes and 6 spaghetti squash. We also picked up lots of items that didn't require any tickets. We picked lots of kale, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, lettuce, spinach, watermelon, cantaloupe, bok choy, Chinese cabbage, snap peas, radishes and kohlrabi.
 
Now for the fun part of putting it all up. I know what I'll be doing this weekend. I can already smell the pumpkins cooking in the oven.
 

mmmm....raw brussel sprouts

1 comment:

  1. Way to pick them veggies, kids! Looks like you'll continue to eat well this winter!

    ReplyDelete