Tuesday, August 5, 2014

First Day of Homeschool 2014

I decided to get a head start on school this year, so on Monday we had our first official day of the school year. I say official because my kids have been sneaking into the school room all summer to grab school books to work on. Weird, I know!


Our annual 1st day of school pose on the front porch. I need to go back and find the one from the first year we were here!

 My stair steps, I love everyone of them and I know we are going to have a great year!

 Yep, it should be fun!

 I spent a few weeks organizing and cleaning out the classroom so we can start fresh. I went through my closet and got rid of old and broken craft supplies, switched out our old curriculum for the new one and put stuff back where it belonged. I ended up with a few loads of trash and a few totes full of stuff to garage sale when we get around to it.

 The littles, Kaylee is is 2nd grade and Kassidy is so excited to be doing Kindergarten officially!

 The big kids, Kolsen is in 6th grade (I can't believe we'll be doing Junior High stuff next year) and Karolyn is in 4th grade.


The first day went really well. The kids were all up by 6:30 (I was going to wake them up at 7:00) and we enjoyed breakfast with Shawn before he left for work. I didn't push the kids to get through all their subjects on the first day (we'll have plenty of cold, wintery days for that), but they did complete quite a bit of work. 

I know the first day was a success because they had to show dad all their work when he got home and as I tucked kids in bed, I had two kids make me promise to wake them up early the next morning for school. Kolsen also commented, when we had finished day two and he was filling out his checklist of completed work for the day, that there was so much more he wanted to do. :) My kids are weird and I love it! Then when my girls finished school today they choose to play school in the tents with our neighbor kids all afternoon. 

The hardest thing for me is just jumping in and starting out new curriculum. I always find my rhythm, but it takes a while. I also scheduled out a few of the subjects that I've added on top of the My Father's World curriculum and hopefully this will help me keep on top of how we're progressing through those subjects this year. It is also hard figuring out the balance of when and what to do with the big kids and finding time to squeeze in stuff for Kassidy. So far she has been highly involved in all the character study, bible lesson, history and science stuff I do with the big kids and then we do her kindergarten stuff after lunch. She was upset with me today that I didn't make her a copy of the map that the older kids were doing on the ancient Roman Empire. Next time I'll know! She constantly walks around with her new math book and handwriting book.


 Our school location for day two. We've been having beautiful weather!

 Kassidy working on reviewing some phonics lessons from last year in her tent. I can tell she is going to do an amazing job and grow her skills a lot this year.


The big kids working on math on the deck.

We started early this year because our life is crazy busy full of activities. We've already had a dentist appointment, picked up our CSA box for the week, went to the library, returned a pitching machine battery, had a playoff baseball game, baseball practice and are taking care of our garden between school subjects. We're looking forward to taking a week off later this month to visit family and also in September to camp in Duluth.

2 comments:

  1. Love the "new" study area on the deck! They'll get lots of use out of that table till the snow flys! The kids are growing up way too fast! Can't believe Kolsen is a 6th grader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you've had school on your new deck a lot so far this year! What a beautiful place to learn!

    ReplyDelete